We are deriving rate equations and developing standard based approaches to measure enzyme kinetic parameters.
Welcome to the Schnell Lab
We develop methods and models to obtain high-quality measurements with rigor, reproducibility, and robustness in the biomedical sciences.
Our research program is strictly theoretical; we use mathematical, computational and statistical approaches in our work. We collaborate with several experimental research groups that provide us with data or collaborate with us to use models as tools for test hypothesis.
Latest NewsView all news
Kashvi Srivastava, graduate student, receives a MICDE Fellowship
MICDE Fellows epitomize the reach of computation in diverse scientific disciplines, as their research projects involve the use and advancement in a wide array of disciplines.
Isabella Gimon, graduate student, receives a GEM Associate Fellowship
GEM Fellowships promote opportunities for individuals to enter industry in areas such as research and development, product development, and other high level technical careers.
The Society for Mathematical Biology awarded the prize for Dr. Schnell's work on ground-breaking theories and transformative mathematical models for the field of enzyme kinetics.
ProjectsView all projects
PeopleView all team
Recent CoversView all covers
Biophysical Chemistry 274, 106590.
The Journal of Physiology 597, 2317-2322.
Latest PublicationsView all publications
- M. A. Gingerich, X. Liu, B. Chai, G. L. Pearson, M. P. Vincent, T. Stromer, J. Zhu, V. Sidarala, A. Renberg, D. Sahu, D. J. Klionsky, S. Schnell, S. A. Soleimanpour (2022). The human disease gene CLEC16A regulates mitophagy. Autophagy DOI: 10.1080/15548627.2022.2080383.
- J. Range, C. Halupczok, J. Lohmann, N. Swainston, C. Kettner, F. T. Bergmann, A. Weidemann, U. Wittig, S. Schnell, J. Pleiss (2022). EnzymeML - an exchange format for biocatalysis and enzymology. FEBS Journal DOI: 10.1111/febs.16318.
- J. Eilertsen, S. Schnell, S. Walcher (2022). On the anti-quasi-steady-state conditions of enzyme kinetics. Mathematical Biosciences 350, 108870.
- J. Eilertsen, K. Srivastava, S. Schnell (2022). Stochastic enzyme kinetics and the quasi-steady-state reductions: Application of the slow scale linear noise approximation à la Fenichel. Journal of Mathematical Biology 85, 3. code
- J. Eilertsen, S. Schnell (2022). On the validity of the stochastic quasi-steady-state approximation in open enzyme catalyzed reactions: Timescale separation or singular perturbation? Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 84, 7.
- J. Eilertsen, M. A. Tyczynska, S. Schnell (2021). Hunting ε: The origin and validity of quasi-steady-state reductions in enzyme kinetics. SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems 20, 2450-2481.
- N. D. Urban, J. P. Cavataio, Y. Berry, B. Vang, A. Maddali, R. J. Sukpraphrute, S. Schnell, M. Truttmann (2021). Explaining inter-lab variance in C. elegans N2 lifespan: Making a case for standardized reporting to enhance reproducibility. Experimental Gerontology 156, 111622.
- J. C. Kasemeier-Kulesa, J. A. Spengler, C. E. Muolo, J. A. Morrison, T. E. Woolley, S. Schnell, P. M. Kulesa (2021). The embryonic trunk neural crest microenvironment regulates the plasticity and invasion of human neuroblastoma via TrkB signaling. Developmental Biology 480, 78-90.
- D. Felker, H. Zhang, Z. Bo, M. Lau, Y. Morishima, S. Schnell, Y. Osawa (2021). Mapping protein-protein interactions in homodimeric CYP102A1 by crosslinking and mass spectrometry. Biophysical Chemistry 274, 106590. (cover article)
- W. Stroberg and S. Schnell (2021). Concentration sensing in crowded environments. Biophysical Journal 120, 1718-1731. code
- J. Eilertsen, M. R. Roussel, S. Schnell, S. Walcher (2021). On the quasi-steady-state approximation in an open Michaelis-Menten reaction mechanism. AIMS Mathematics 6, 6781–6814.
- J. Cavataio and S. Schnell (2021). Interpreting SARS-CoV-2 fatality rate estimates: A case for introducing standardized reporting to improve communication. Mathematical Biosciences 333, 108545. (review)